Ozymandias ~ Movin’ right along

No, you clearly don’t know who you’re talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

Ice Resin was used and the color was achieved by using powdered pigment.
Ice Resin was used and the color was achieved by using powdered pigment.

So I am moving right along with this piece and I took some photos of my current processes. In the image above I used some old chemistry equipment that I bought at a garage sale a few years ago just because I knew eventually I would do something awesome with it. I admit, I am a garage sale junkie because I can reuse certain things that people want to get rid of. I also think I like looking through people’s horde and being nosy. It’s quite amazing seeing the things that people accumulate.

I used a product called Ice Resin because I am not that good at getting bubbles out of regular resin. This stuff is great because the bubbles just float up and POP! It also dries fairly fast and you do not have to pour a little layer at a time. It is not too expensive but really it’s cheaper to use for jewelry. A epoxy size squirt tube is about $11.00 and the kit I have which is A LOT more product was about $22.50.  I used some pigment powder to color the resin. I used Daniel Smith’s Dry Pigment which runs for about $9.00 unless you buy a kit. I was fortunate that my Husband that had to mix his own oil colors in school ages ago still had these on hand. I don’t think there is a shelf life on these.

Front of the box
Front of the box

The next step was to decide what to do with my shadow box and I went with the idea to make it appear metallic. It actually IS metal by the way! I used strips of aluminum tape, mesh in some areas, and put them all over the box.  I textured this using a brush and some other tools in my box. To make it look like there were screws I used a brad punch tool and just pushed it in to the design a little. For the lettering I used scrap booking letters that were thick and would stick up a bit. I also used “diamond” letters for E, O, N, S and cut out letters from a stencil to make I, H, N and C. This was time consuming and a little annoying to make sure all the letters were visible.

Then I covered a little area at a time with black paint and wiped it off so that all the little details showed up. I used more black around the letters to make them stand out. I could have wiped off more to make the box shinier but I like it better dark.

The inside of one half of the box is also covered in this same detail but I put the words  “I am the Danger” on the inside. I thought it was fitting to have “I am the one who knocks” on the outside of the box because when someone knocks, someone else opens the door.

I have a long way to go, but here is a little idea of how things are looking on the inside. Noting is attached and I have a LONG way to go with only 6 more days to finish.

Just doing a check to see how it will look.
Just doing a check to see how it will look.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s